Sunday, January 12, 2014

1/6 to 1/12

This week has been filled with helping the Wilondja's.  I went almost every day to work with Sammy in the morning.  We worked on the color red and shapes.  I found that he doesn't know how to count.  That is another thing I need to work on.

On Monday I started Ngema and I soup with chicken broth.  The next day we finished our soups and I began to teach her English.  But I found throughout the week that I need to teacher her more what things are.  My Ipad really has helped me, when she doesn't know a word I just find a picture of it on the web.  As we were looking at pictures, Elia asked to see pictures of a caterpillar and I mentioned that Butterflies come from caterpillar. Ngema was astounded at that fact.  Tuesday night we made cupcakes for Neema's birthday for her class room.  We used one of my cake mixes and then when I was looking in a cupboard I discovered a carton of frosting and  cake mix.  She said someone had given one to her but she didn't know how to make it.  She was so excited about using the mixer that she made her cake mix.  I will never forget the look of her face when we opened the open when the cupcakes were done.  Her eyes popped out with astonishment.  That was worth it.

On Friday I got to taste a typical lunch.  She fried some Tilopia in a African sauce mix.  She used the same mix in a fried tomatoes and onions with some green pepper.  Then she fixed a pot full of Semolina which was a stiff and you could pull it off and dip a portion into the fried tomatoes.  You can eat it with your hands.  That is how she loved to it is.  I liked the sauce and I really liked it on the Tilopia.

Saturday I went over with some popcorn after Wolanga went to work and we had a movie night using my Kindle.  The Kids really enjoyed watching some movies.  When Ngema got home she asked me about church and she was going to see if Wolanga wanted to go.

On Sunday only Oredi, Yosephina and Neema went with us.   They were good but Oredi that it was very boring but I think Yosephina enjoyed it and Neema was excited that her best friend Hailey Thueson was there. I need to find a dress for Neema because she didn't have a dress.Well we went over to Deborah's and she gave Neema 2 dresses and some tights.  She also gave her some much needed plastic containers and a large pitcher that they really need.

It is such a joy to help these people out.  This is their story what I have pieced together.  Around 2006 they were living in Baraka,  Dem. Rep of  Congo which is on the East Side of the country near Rawanda.
The town is on a large river, larger than the Mississippi.  The political atmosphere as described by Wikapedia said. Violence against women seems to be perceived by large sectors of society to be normal. In July 2007, the International Committee of the Red Cross expressed concern about the situation in eastern DRC. A phenomenon of 'pendulum displacement' has developed, where people hasten at night to safety. According to Yakin Ertürk, the UN Special Rapporteur on Violence against Women who toured eastern Congo in July 2007, violence against women in North and South Kivu included 'unimaginable brutality'. "Armed groups attack local communities, loot, rape, kidnap women and children, and make them work as sexual slaves",
Her long walk


 Wilondja, ran away and hide from the rebels, because they would force him to join the army. Ngema then gathered up her3 children and walked to Zambawe.  She didn't know the way, she just kept asking. She first had to cross Zambia to get to Zambawe. She had very little money and she had to look for food along the way.  The children cried because they were all so hungry.  Neema was 2, Yoshephina 5 and Oredi 7.  She was at the refuge camp for about 4 or 5 months before Wilondja found them at the refuge camp.
A refugee camp in Zambabwa 
 They applied with some refugee program where they had to fill out some papers and when they went for the interview they had to make sure they said exactly the same thing.  They had no idea where they would be sent and they were blessed to come to Boise in 2010. I feel so blessed to have the opportunity to help Ngena and her family.

No comments:

Post a Comment