Sunday, January 5, 2014

12/30 to 1/5 2014

Monday I went to see the Dr. Mederious and told him of all my tiredness and he took some blood and told me to stop taking Lipitor.e   The blood test only showed that I was a little low in Thyroid but everything else was fine he still wanted me to keep off Lipitor.  Well by Thursday I was feeling a lot better and on Friday I had a very strong work out.  It is amazing what a pill can do to you.  My INR was up to 1.9 so I am almost there.

Tuesday I went over and met Ngena.  I was surprised to see the scarf that we gave her  for Christmas on her head.  She wears it all the time.  They really appreciated all the gifts that they had received at Christmas.

New Years Eve was very quiet but we did stay up and watch the Big Potato drop.  The next day I spent the day preparing for Ngena's surprise party.  I made a lot of spaghetti sauce to go with almost 2 packages of spaghetti noodles, a relish plate (so they could taste different veggies with different dressing) and a German Chocolate Cake.  The Sister arrived and we went over after 4 to decorate.  She was suppose to work part of a day but she worked the full day and due to some mixes she didn't arrive until 6:30.  The sister missionaries kept the children entertained with games and gave them a message as we waited.
 
Children playing games with the Children

The group
While we were waiting I looked in their brand new fridge and there was only a carton of eggs and 5 slices of bread.  I asked Oride what they ate he said the eat FooFoo which is a cornmeal and add meat and vegetables to it.  I had brought some old silverware over because I didn't know if they would have enough forks.  Well they had none, so I left them there.  They thought the oven didn't work but they just didn't know how to turn it on.

She was very surprised and very happy.  The sisters gave her a Swahili  Book of Mormon and DVD's.  I gave her the picture of Christ from Jacob's room, (She hung it up in the Front Room).  Some flash cards for her and Sammy to learn how to read and some measuring spoons and cups. (She didn't have them and didn't know how to use them). I told her I would teach her English and how use the spoons and cups.  So on her next day off which was  Friday.  I bought some Krustes Pancake mix and showed her how to make pancakes and syrup.  She was delighted.  Then I taught her how to cook egg noodles so that she could put them in the left over spaghetti sauce.  She mentioned that she wanted to know how to make cookies so we made spice pumpkin chocolate cookies.  Her family loved them and Sammy keeps asking for some more.
Ngena, (notice the scarf) and family
Saturday, we went over to Laura's house and visited with them.  Laura was so tired and Chuck was recouping from  Strep.
Laura just so tired.
Joe's tooth that he knock out had died and Maddy looked very funky with her pink and blue hair. I enjoyed telling Davis about his family heritage by using the new FamilySearch.org.
They all love to rub Chucks head.
What surprised me that as we clicked around I found new pictures of GW Hill and Charles Washington Hill that I have never seen.  It is such an awesome sight. I stopped in to help Eva with her Kindle.  It had lost it's charge and she had left the charging cord at her daughters so we are going out on Monday to get a new cord.  I let her use my cord to charge her Kindle up.

Then I went over to Aspen Rehab and had a very good visit with Rosemary Hill. (It is so nice to have energy to do the things I want.) She hopes to come home on Friday.  She wants me to help her and she insists that she pays me.  Then I went down the hall and visited with Kathy Rogers.  We both love to talk and we both a very good time.

Later that night, I went over to Ngena's house to communicate that I was going to pick her up after work.  She works downtown at the Grove Hotel. Because her husband is working at that time and the bus doesn't run on Sunday's,  she had to walk home.  It took her 4 1/2 to walk and she was in tears by the time she got home, Oredi told me.  So, I couldn't let that happen again so I picked her up Sunday night.

When I went over there Saturday night,  she was busy fixing pancakes.  She had made a big stack of them and had used all the Family Size Mix.  She said that she had made some the night before and when she got home they were all gone.  So she was making more, so they would have enough.  Since there were so many, I told the trick of putting some in the freezer so the children wouldn't eat them up all at once. She had never thought of that.

The girls were doing the dishes and I asked if they knew how to use the dishwasher.  They didn't know how to stack the dishes in the dishwasher,  what kind of soap to use and where to put the soap.  I showed them and then we went to the store to get some dish washer liquid and some peanut butter that was on sale.


I found out that Ngena, never had the opportunity to go to school in the Congo and when she got her, she only associated outside work.so she hasn't learned how to cook and use American foods.  I am going to teach her how to make cabbage soup which she likes.  She has a lot of potatoes but only cook in a pan.  She didn't know that she could by soup or even bake them.  There is so much she needs to learn and it is fun teaching her.
 
Before

After the wisdom teeth

Saroja looking beautiful

No comments:

Post a Comment