Sunday, December 29, 2013

12/23 to 12/29

This will be the last entry in this years journal.  This has been quite a year. There have been a lot of challenges and countless blessings.  The Lord has blessed us in so many ways.  I have been able to exercise, loose weight, arrange and play music, improve my teaching skills, do missionary, genealogy work and most of all declared cancer free. Life is good.

This year ended with Willard and I having so illness challenges.  He started bleeding and they thought he would have to go in for another endoscopy to find the source of the bleeding, but it stopped the day before he had to go in. We were very thankful for that.  Last Monday, my body just wanted to rest and I just had to sleep all day and I have been fighting body fatigue all week.  Nancy and I both decided we had to start acting our age, and pace ourselves a little bit more.


Consequently, we had a very quite Christmas.  Christmas eve we went over to Betty's and spent it with her family and the Movius.  They had a lot of great food but unfortunately for Willard he couldn't eat any of it because he was prepping for his procedure for Thursday afternoon.  We all had a good time.  Christmas was very low key.  Jacob had bought a large ham, so I cooked it, made some No Knead Rolls and a Christmas jello. We just sat around watching Christmas movies.  Jacob got me a new modem for Christmas and spent all Thursday getting it to work with the Roko.  
Yolanda, Oredi, Neema, Elia, and Sammy.

 On Monday, I went out delivering neighbor presents and I meet the new family that just moved in two houses down from us.  The parents weren't home, but the children were. There were five of them. Oredi age 13, Yosephina age 12, Neema age 8,  Elia age 6, and Sammy age 3. Their last name is Wilondja  which is the same as their fathers first name which is Wilondja. That is how they do it in the Congo.  I finally meet him yesterday.  They have been here for almost 4 years.  He works a Walmart and his wife Ngena, who doesn't speak English, works downtown and rides the bus home to 5 mile and then walks the rest of the way home.  I really admire their industry and fortitude.  In 4 short years they were able to buy a home.  They are all so open and friendly.  They are a wonderful family, I am looking forward to get to know them all better. Tuesday while I was visiting with them I found out that the children weren't expecting any presents from Santa because they had no money, so Willard and I went out and got some things for them and then late that night took them over. That really made our Christmas.  In fact, Willard and I would like to do it next year instead of buying presents for each other. 

Last night, we had dinner at Fuddruckers with Betty's family, Deborah and kids and Maddy, Davis and Joe.  We had a good time just kicking back and visiting with the children and grand kids.
The Adult Table

The kids table

As this year closes, I want to record how thankful I am for such good family and friends.    I am thankful for the gospel in my life, for it gives me opportunities to develop my talents and serve others which brings me much joy.  I am grateful that The Lord has given me commandments to live by and guide my life. I am grateful that He is the same day after day.  He is my rod that I cling to when times are hard and dark.  He is my pillar of light that guides me if I keep myself in tune with His Holy Spirit.  I am thankful for good parents that taught me, and also for their great example. Were they perfect? No, but they were perfect for me.  I am just so thankful for all The Lord tender mercies this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment