Sunday, December 15, 2013

12/9 to 12/15

Willard the MC
The week started out with a bang. We performed for Meadowlake, the retirement community in our ward.  We called our group The Serendipitous Trio plus 1.  The groups consisted of Nancy Cotter who played the harp, bells, and a piano duet with me. Justin Goodell, who is Nancy's grandson, played the French Horn and I just accompanied everyone and arranged all the songs for our group. Willard was the MC that pulled the program together. He really did a good job in entertaining the crowd. In fact one gentleman said that his deliver reminded him of Johnny Carson.
He really does make our performances more fun.
The largest crowd we had ever performed for.
The Serendipitous Trio plus 1
 Our program consisted of eight songs. All of us played "It's the most wonderful time of the year". Then we played an arrangement that is did for "Ding Dong Merrily on High"  This time Justin played played the bells. Next came "I'll be home of Christmas" this time Nancy played the  bells. Then Nancy and I played "Duet Fantasy on Jingle Bells" Next came "The Christmas Song"  with all off us. Then Nancy played my arrangement of "Oh Come, Oh Come Emmanuel" on the harp.  "O holy night" was played by Justin on his horn.  Then we played an medley of , "It Came Upon a Midnight Clear", "Away In a Manger"; "the First  Noel" and tied it together using the "Silent Night" theme.  We finished with the audience singing, "Have a Merry Little Christmas". There was a huge audience. They even had to turn away people.  It was definitely the largest we had ever performed for.  Next time they would like us to do two performances.

On Wednesday, we play for a small retirement home. Our home teacher Gary Andrews owns it and Merilee, his wife, who does Activity Days with me,  sort of runs it.  There are only 8 residence but they loved us coming and playing for them.  I met Effie, who could still play by ear very well even if her hands were deformed with arthritis
Effie was in 7th heaven.
Merrilee and I at the home.
 Then on Thursday we went to Morning Star retirement home that was middle of the road.  There were about 35 people that attended.  Their piano wasn't working so I had to use my keyboard.  It didn't go as well. I really missed all 88 keys.  It is amazing how a shorter keyboard will throw me off.
Nancy and I trying to play the duet on the keyboard.
That was the last time for all of us playing together.  Justin is moving to Logan so we will have to find someone else.

Friday Nancy and I played for the ward party and had Beka Dunkley sing "It is the most Wonderful Time of the year"  and she played the bells on "Ding Dong..."  Then on Sunday Nancy and I played the Christmas Medley again for Sacrament meeting. It was fun playing all those places and bringing some joy to others.

On Saturday I made all my neighborhood gifts.  3 doz cinnamon rolls, 7 small loaves of Zucchini Banana Bread, and 15 bags of Carmel Popcorn mix.  I hope next week is going to be a little less stressful.

Picture from the internet
The cutest picture of Audrey and Amelia
   

No comments:

Post a Comment