Sunday, July 22, 2012

Week 22 7/16 to 7/22


The the Yellowhairs place





On our way to Tube City for our gardening meeting we decided to stop off and see a garden on the way up.  It was a little past the Anizzi Inn on the hill.  We  drove up the hill and couldn't find it but I saw this interesting hogan.  I thought is was so unique because it was an old hogan but had a dish on the outside of the house.  I asked Elder Howard to stop so I could take a picture of it.  As I took the picture, a man came out and sort of yelled at me.  So I thought fast and asked where the Yellowhairs garden was and he told us where it was. We saw it but we certainly didn't get out because of the dogs.

The next day just worked on the library.  Bishop Glimore asked me to find pioneer stories for the Pioneer Celebration this Tuesday and then Bishop Axline asked me to make a poster.  So I had me work cut out.  The Howard's were gone and the Olsen called and said they wouldn't be arriving until Wednesday. 
Evangeline came in and wanted me to make a birth card for her new baby Kristy Rose.  So I took some pictures of her.  I finally got a good picture of her, with a little bit of a smile.

Wednesday the ladies came over from Denehotso with Sister Chapmen.  Sister Tinhorn was anglo but her husband was a big native fellow that had the bigest
Sister Tinhorn is the blond in the back
hat.  He wouldn't let me take a picture of him.  They were all really excited and Sister Tinhorn wanted me to come out to Denehotso and teach at Home Making.  They really got the spirit and stayed a couple of hours and got some work done.
The Olsen's finally arrived.  They are going to make a great addition to the gardening, family history teams

Thursday and Friday were spent on the posters and stories.  Sister Simmons sent me a wonderful story about her grandmother Sarah Maraboots. Her father was a Navajo who gave his daughter to Ira Hatch who later married her. It was a wonderful story.  I found another story about the Ponca Tribe helping the early saint making it through the Winter Quarter days, and then of course I had to tell the story of Sagwitch.  I didn't realize that his son was the first Indian missionary and his grandson Timbimboo was the first native Bishop.  All because, Sagwitch, forgave the white man for massacring his band and listened to one of his chiefs that told him that the Mormons had the true God.

Glindy, Thomas and Wayne

Some were interest and some slept
Chinle's Stake President
Saturday we got up early and took 4 kids to the Chinle and Tuba stake youth day in Chinle.  One of which was Glindy Yazzie, the girl that got baptized in April. Another was Thomas Howard a 12 boy who has been coming to church.    I was concerned that no one would talk to them but the Wayne boy who is going to go to BYU Hawaii. Befriended them and really helped them to have a good time.  I was very impressed that he really put himself out. .Elder Reid from the Chinle Stake and I did 2 workshops on Indexing.  Some really found it interesting and some just slept.  This was the first time that indexing had been introduced to the youth in the stakes except for a few in Kayenta.The Chinle's Stake President even came in and learned how to index.  He said, "I can do this.  I have an MBA"
The winter sqash

These are potato plants.  I have never seen any potato plant this tall.
Willard spent most of the week going with Elder Olsen and Elder Howard to see the gardens.  Ours is doing well here are some picture of garden.
Notice how high the tomato plants are

I am going to follow this winter Squash to see how big it will be

The corn is taller than Willard




1 comment: