Sunday, July 8, 2012

20th Week 7/2 to 7/8

Lorana and her son Marcus
Monday was the big day for indexing.  The Church world wide had a goal to do 5 million names.  So we did our part here in Kayenta.  The ward plus the missionaries did 1720 names and we added to more indexers.  Lorna Begay came in with her son to learn how to do it. Also, Sally Singer came in and did 2 batches. Then we heard the next day it only took them 16 hours to get to 5 million and they ended up with over 10 million.  That was awesome to get to participate in making history.  That evening the young elders knocked on my door and delivered a big box of yarn. it was 3 ft tall. Since it was late I just went to bed and didn't open it.

The next morning I opened the box and was pleasantly surprised at all the beautiful wool yard she had sent.  Most of it she had spun herself.  There was so much of it. All kinds of variegated yarns of all different colors.  I was excited to start weaving because the combinations were endless. There was so much that there was enough to share with my friends and also to  to give away to Sister Kieth who owed me a rug. (I will tell that story later.

Bishop Axline with his grandparents
Then I went up to the FHC to work on the display of pictures that I was going to do on the table.  Bishop Axline was there and I explained to him what I was trying to achieve by the display.  I explained to him that I knew that the Natives were very picture oriented.  They can understand so much better if there is a picture illustrating the point.  He agreed and shared his vision of making that part of the foyer like a visitor center.  I discussed how I wanted the FHC to upgrade the pictures that were on the wall to be temple like.  I just don't them old pictures stapled on the wall communicates the spirit of the temple. He agreed.  Later he told me that he went in and order $500 worth of unframed art.  I can't wait to see them.   He really is behind my efforts.   He brought me an old photo of him with his Grandparents.  What amazed me was he said that he had a picture of his grandpa when he was old..  I questioned him because I thought he was old in the picture.  He said that his grandpa lived to be 107 years old.

We are waiting for the Parade to begin.
These girls were modeling a more contemporary native dress
Wednesday we enjoyed the 4th.   We went down to watch the big 4th of July  Parade.  It was a typical small town parade. They threw a lot of candy and gave out water.  It was a perfect day.  It day was overcast and so not very hot. Later on we had a cook out and had some delicious T-Bone steaks and watch the fireworks from the hill. We had a perfect spot to watch. ( posted the rest of the pictures on Facebook)
Koltey Tso the princess is going to be baptized next month.
This was one of the better floats



Thursday, was another funeral.  It was a very good funeral.  They had a very good speaker that was a member of the church.  He really gave some good thoughts.  Afterwards,  I saw Sister Axline out looking on the wall at the pictures.  She pointed to  Pete Sheen, on of Kats uncles and she said that that was her uncle too but she had never seen a picture of him.  She asked if she could get a copy.   I gave he a copy and asked if she would have time to listen to the first lesson in the Member Temple book.  She agree and Sister Howard also listen.  So I had 2 people to the first class.  I thought that I just need to keep mentioning the classes and the FHC and eventually they will move to action.  It is like cooking a frog, you just slowly turn up the heat.  She took my voice recorder so she could tape her father and get family information from him. She seemed really motivated


I got the display all done and it turned out pretty nice.  I still need to get more pictures and picture frame.  It certainly changes the atmosphere of the foyer it is feels more homing and inviting.

Friday we were going to go out to see Sister Keith but Bishop Axline came over and changed the old on the truck. He wanted to do it early because they were going to see he father.  That made me happy that she wanted to get busy right away.  After that we went out to see Anita Kieth in Chilchinbeto (at 30 min drive).  She is the one that I paid her for a rug about 2 months ago.  When Sister Howard broke her wrist we went out to get both of the rugs so she could take hers home.  Well, one rug wasn't done.  It just needed to be tried off but she had lost her needle.  So I offered to lend her one of mine so she could finish it.  Then I arranged to meet her in Kayenta the following week.  She didn't show so I asked the Chapmans to go check on the rug when they went to look at the gardens there.  There was no rug.  She had sold it.  She had forgotten that it was my rug.( I heard that her relative's take her rugs and the keep the money.)  So that was why I went out there that Friday.  To remind her and to make sure she didn't forget again.(She is a little crazy).

Well the Lord was with us.  When we got there Sister Keith wasn't there and the grandmothers caretaker was.  She ended up being the second counselor in the Relief Society. As I explained my story, she verified that  Anita knew she sold my rug.  When Anita go home I told her what kind of rug I wanted, a large one that was like the small on that she was weave.  I wrote down the information on if and pinned to a flower pinwheel.  I asked Marry (the caretaker)  If she would bring it to Denihosto when she completed it.  (That is where she lives)  I told Anita when I get the rug she will get a whole bunch of yarn.. So I will keep my fingers crossed.

The sample Rugs I made out of Sheran's yarn
Saturday, I sat and wove some more little rugs.Then the Hunsaker's called and wanted to meet for dinner with the group so we all went out to Pizza Edge and then we all went over to the Howard's and I showed Sister Hunsaker how to weave a small rug on the loom.  I really like Sherans yarn.  They are much lighter weight and I love the combinations of colors.

Sunday I got up in both wards and gave a little Family History spotlight and told of the results of the Indexing day and reminded them of the classes that were going to be offered the next week.  Then I closed with this quote from Boyd K.Packer.

The Lord will bless us as we attend to the sacred ordinance work for the temple service.  We will be blessed in all of our affairs.  We will be eligible to have the Lord take an interest in our affairs both spiritual and temporal.  Our Labors in the temple cover us with a shield and a protection, both individually and as a people. 

What an awesome promise the Lord has made to us!

No comments:

Post a Comment